One of my favorite blogs, WebResourcesDepot, has a nice list of 15 YouTube channels dedicated to development and design techniques. Some channels are more tutorial-focused while others center around presentations and keynote speeches.
I knew of some of these but most are new to me. Any plans I had for Thanksgiving weekend just went out the window!
Swing over to WebResourcesDepot to see the list.
When first released in 1984, the Apple Macintosh shipped with a black-and-white 512 x 342 display. Fast forward 30 years to the release of the iMac with Retina 5K display, which ships with a 5,120 x 2,880 display with support for millions of colours. That’s an increase from 175,000 pixels to more than 14.7 million – an 8,400% increase.
Read the original…
You learn something new everyday – if all goes well. Today is a good day because I just learned about some css units I didn’t know about. We all know pixels (px) and ems (em) and percent (%). But id you know about viewport height (vh) and viewport width (vw)? Interesting stuff in Jonathan Cutrell’s article called 7 CSS Units You Might Not Know About.
- Responsive Design View
- See how your Website or Web app will look on different screen sizes without changing the size of your browser window. I don’t see any difference to what we’ve been using though. Watch Video.
- Develop and debug your apps across multiple browsers and devices with this powerful extension that comes pre-installed with Firefox Developer Edition. Read More.
- Page Inspector
- Examine the HTML and CSS of any Web page and easily modify the structure and layout of a page. This looks like what we’ve been using also but there’s a couple new goodies added. Read More.
- Web Console
- Style Editor
- View and edit CSS styles associated with a Web page, create new ones and apply existing CSS stylesheets to any page. Watch Video.
- Network Monitor
- See all the network requests your browser makes, how long each request takes and details of each request. Read More.
- Web Audio Editor
- Inspect and interact with Web Audio API in real time to ensure that all audio nodes are connected in the way you expect. Read More.
- Develop, deploy and debug Firefox OS apps directly in your browser, or on a Firefox OS device, with this tool that replaces App Manager. Read More.
Download Firefox DE from here.
Cubic Bezier Curves – Under the Hood from Peter Nowell on Vimeo.
Take a peek under the hood to see how computers draw cubic Bézier curves, as used in design and motion graphics programs. This video is part of the article Mastering the Bezier Curve in Sketch.